As a national community, we Australians have rallied together to help those in need and provide assistance in whatever way we can. Our nation’s sense of community warms our hearts. In December, we donated to the NSW RFS stations and are continuing to explore ways in which we can join the efforts to provide ongoing assistance to impacted communities. In the meantime, if there is something close to your heart that we may be able to help with this bushfire season, please get in touch.
Below are the links we have all become familiar with over the past weeks in order to make a donation. Here are some other ways we can help impacted communities:
- Donate food and groceries via Food Bank or Givit.
- Provide shelter to those who have lost homes or have been displaced by the fires, if you can. Create a listing on Flatmates.com.au or Airbnb so that people know where to look.
- Help our native wildlife recover by donating to WIRES, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital or other wildlife organisations accepting bushfire aid.
- Bring water with you wherever you go and if you see an animal in need, stop, help and give them a drink.
- Make sure impacted communities aren’t forgotten once the fires have been put out. Go on a road trip, not a plane trip. Return to small rural towns to support our communities in the aftermath of the bushfire devastation. You can contribute to rebuilding Australian livelihoods.
- Buy local, Buy from the bush.
- Donate to mental health organisations and help those who are facing trauma in the aftermath of the bushfires. Magda Szubanski and Will Connolly are helping contribute to ongoing mental health support through their GoFundMe page.
- Join the conversation in encouraging our government and policymakers to take action on climate change. We are part of a global community with a responsibility to protect our planet.
Links to donate to bushfire relief and recovery:
- Salvation Army Disaster Appeal
- Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery
- NSW Rural Fire Service & Brigades Donations
- Port Macquarie Koala Hospital
- Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund
- Mallacoota Fires Support Fund