With the last Census results highlighting the number of renters increased to 30.9 per cent in 2016, it’s no wonder tenants often describe the process of finding a good home to rent as “competitive”. But the outlook is not all bad. Finding your dream home in the perfect rental could be right at your fingertips – you just need to be properly prepared.
Here are 5 easy steps you can follow to help secure keys to your perfect rental property in no time!
- Define your priorities – before you begin your property search it makes sense to create your list of criteria. These could include location, size (number of bedrooms/bathrooms), outdoor space (backyard/balcony or courtyard), parking facilities or access to transport. After you’re sure you have your non-negotiables covered, think about some of those extras you’d love to have to help narrow your search, like the stainless-steel appliances etc. Once you have created your list, understand what you absolutely won’t compromise on and what you are prepared to negotiate.
- Inspection ready – once a home ticks all of your necessity boxes you will need to attend inspections. Make sure you arrive on time, are well presented and that you engage with the agent so they can put a face to a name.
- Have your documentation ready – unlike buying a home, renting is a fast process and it will definitely service you well to have all of your documentation at the ready. Contact your references to let them know they may be receiving a call or better still try to get written references from your employers and past property managers, so you have those on hand.
- Agent rapport – introduce yourself to the agent at the inspection. Remember, it’s their advocacy that will help you secure the property so make sure you are polite and courteous.
- Know your rights – if you really like a property but discover it needs some repair work completed, speak to your agent and have an agreement in writing to complete the work prior to moving in.
What did you think of this article? If you have any suggestions or want learn more about something, contact us and let us know so that we can share more valuable content. It’s our pleasure to provide you with a joyful experience while you visit our digital home.